No comment (Dinette Set Cartoon)
A central Illinois woman named Julie Larson writes a cartoon called The Dinette Set. It pokes fun at life in suburban America. It is probably my favorite cartoon; it really gets me to laugh at myself.
Today's strip really hits home.
Perhaps I am laughing at others when I laugh at this strip. But, there is a larger point here (pardon the pun).
Anything that we can do that encourages people to maintain a healthy lifestyle is well worth doing. For those of us who are already fit, we can do things like the following:
- Teach an exercise class at the park district (or get certified to teach a class)
- Take an exercise class at the local park district.
- Help out new runners, walkers, swimmers or cyclists though programs offered by local clubs.
- Offer a smile and/or encouragement to those who are new to a sport.
- Support government programs to build and maintain parks, bike paths, trails and the like.
There are many cool people who are cutting their lifespans short due to underactivitiy and obesity. Let's do all we can to encourage those folks to take care of themselves.